Black -
of
the very darkest color owing to the absence of or complete absorption of light;
the opposite of white.
Although there are
other definitions of what black means, this definition says black is the
opposite of white which could be interpreted that blacks and whites are to
oppose one another but I say it does NOT apply to people and should not apply
to people but sadly in this day in age because of our skin color.
There are many
different races in this world which also means our skin is all kinds of shades
and colors so when you or I say people of color, I personally don’t believe
that it only means a black person, we are all people of color, otherwise we
would be nonexistent or invisible, like a ghost!
Skin is skin and it doesn't matter if I am black, white, brown... for example; if I have a blemish or scar I won't use a different skin product just because my skin is a different color than yours, but it would be because my skin is sensitive or dry, and yours is oily to normal, or somewhere in between. Another example, if you or I skinned our knees, then we would both need bandages and the bandages would be the same unless one of us had a larger scrape or deeper.
My Pastors wife once said as an analogy with the black lives matters statement a black person's house is on fire and he or she calls the fire department. The fire department comes and some of the other neighbors come out and say my house matters too, and yet their house is not the one one fire. You are just as important and I am and your life matters just like mine does, but you have to open your eyes, i mean really open your eyes and see that I am most likely the one that will be treated different than you if your skin doesn't happen to be dark like mine. and thats all I will say about that.
Below are some
experiences of mine and I am just sharing for those who choose to read it.
Racism is still alive even though some may want to turn a blind eye to it, such
as someone I know saying the world as it is as far as race goes should just
stay the same. I would beg to say that, a statement such as this would be
because a person is choosing to be ignorant or haven't really put much thought
to this because they have not experience what I've experienced.
I being a black woman
am not the opposite of you but on the contrary I am the same as you.
Technically... I am not black, but I am dark brown, and you are not white but
maybe would describe your skin as tan, peach, etc. So then where does this
generalization of our skin colors come from? I don’t have an answer for you,
but this is something I wonder about.
At an early
age, in the 90's experienced the burning of a cross in our front yard
and it wasn't from some random person that decided that they
didn't like us, but it was from our neighbors. The very neighbors of who
my siblings and I played with, but for some reason it changed and that was my
first experience that I recall racism unashamedly displayed by a white family.
My next experience that
reminded me of my blackness was when I was in 11th grade I moved to a town
called Panhandle, Tx of where I was the sole person in the whole town that had skin
as dark as mine. Going to a school being the only black person, I felt
pressures from others to dress a certain way to be accepted there. I felt alone
most of the time but there was one person that was brave enough to
befriend me first, and it was a girl named Shannon Meaker who is now Shannon
Yant she was so kind and accepted me for me as well as her mom and her sisters
also embraced me too.
Also, during that time,
I recall that Martin Luther King Jr. Day was coming up and someone came up to
me and said, "Did you know that we have never had MLK day off school? That
is because you are here." At the time I was so perplexed at the time
because the years previous when I lived in Amarillo, TX we have always had that
day off. But in this town where everyone was predominantly white, the kids
there had never experienced being out of school for MLK day. Whether that
statement was true or not, that is what a peer at the school told me.
I only lived there for a short time, but I
constantly searched for someone else that looked like me. The closest I got was
that there happened to be an Indian peer and 2 Hispanic peers who
were adopted by a white family. Seeing them brought some comfort because their
skin was brown too.
Each day that I walk
about the town wherever I may live I am aware of when I am the only black
person, I am aware that I could get stopped by the cops for no other reason
than the color of my skin but would be said this is just a routine traffic
stop. Therefore, I always make sure I have my driver’s license not just to be
legal but because of my blackness.
Because I am black and
ancestors experienced slavery, I am always scared to meet people 70 or older
because they may not like me simply because they may have been one of the
people that were racist in there earlier years and still may be.
Because I am
black, I don't go into small boutiques or business unless I have someone
else with me because it is known when we black people go into a store we are
most likely to be followed to make sure we don’t steal anything.
Because I am black and
come from a low income family I remember being surprised when I was out
accompanying my friend Libby and her daughter trick or treating and we came to
a large house in a nice neighborhood and a black family answered the door. That
was the first time that I realized that not only white people had nice
houses and money but black people could have a nice houses and money too and so
I had a chance to make it.
When I was on a
mission trip in New York, I was surprised to see so many black business owners.
I never knew that black people could own a business, but I was proud to see
that it could be done.
Growing up attending the
Salvation Army Church from the age of 4 there have been countless times that I
was aware that someone got a privilege over me because they were white or
a Corp.(church) Officers (Pastors) kid. Although what I have experienced
is true, it makes me proud when I see someone that is black and a Corp. officer
(Pastor) in the Salvation army it because it isn't a common thing in my
perspective to see someone that looks like me be in leadership at that
church/organization.
....................................................................................................................................................
Lastly here are
some random realities/ thoughts..
I have many friends,
friends of which I call family that are white, and there have been countless
times that some of those family members have made comments that were racist,
and blatantly one day said to me that they didn't care if it seemed like
there were being racist and it was not even against a black person.
By family I've been told
that I talk white and by others I've heard them say that someone is trying
to act black or someone is acting white. So, I ask what exactly is
talking or acting black or white? While those statements can be true in some cases,
the bigger picture is we are not our skin, our culture, or our sexual
preferences, the content of your character matters above those things and at
the end of the day.... People are just who they are.
Something that
perplexes me is knowing that I am someone’s only black friend when I know
for a fact that I am not the only black person around. I personally think if
you are over 40 yrs. old there has had to be times when you could have pursued
a friendship with someone that doesn't look like you.
I've had countless
encounters of being the only black person in a room but it doesn't make me
not pursue friendship, some people because of their character, I usually know
if I would be friends with them outside of the work environment or whatever
environment I am around them in.
Just treat everyone how
you would want them to treat your children, you, or anyone that you love
because as I said before Skin is Skin and to love people as Jesus would, should
be our daily goal.
Thank you to all those that have befriended me, I love you.
thanks for reading...
Until next time,
- a life borrower 😉


♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ So interesting to know your experiences. Thanks for sharing Pepper.
ReplyDelete